THIS ONLINE TOOL IS FOR SELF-REPRESENTED DEBTORS ONLY!
If you are filing bankruptcy to delay or stop a foreclosure proceeding on your home (or for some
other emergency purpose), this system may not be the best option for you. eSR may delay the filing
of your case for several days until the court receives the additional required items (see below)
necessary to complete your filing.
Bankruptcy has serious long-term financial and legal consequences, and hiring a competent attorney
is strongly recommended. Individuals filing for bankruptcy without an attorney are responsible for
knowing and following all of the legal requirements.
Employees of the Bankruptcy Court Clerk's Office are NOT attorneys and cannot give you ANY legal advice.
What is eSR?
• eSR is an online tool to help individuals prepare a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy petition
when they have decided to file bankruptcy without an attorney.
• eSR asks the user a series of questions and uses the data entered to automatically fill out
official forms. After each section is completed, the forms are available for viewing by the user.
Who can use eSR?
• Individuals who live in the District of Maine filing Chapter 7 and 13.
• eSR is NOT available to attorneys or bankruptcy petition preparers.
• eSR is NOT designed for filings by corporations or other business entities.
Why use eSR?
• Although you must pay the required filing fee for a Chapter 7 or 13 case, there is no additional
fee to use eSR.
• eSR has a guided, step-by-step process that allows you at least 45 days to complete.
• Your personal information is accessible only to you using a unique login and password assigned to
• eSR is accessible 24 hours a day from any Internet-enabled computer.
• There is no software to download or purchase.
eSR Computer Requirements
• A computer or tablet with an Internet connection.
Note: eSR will NOT work from a smart phone.
• Adobe Reader (version 8 or higher).
• Pop-up blocker must be disabled.
• Browser requirements - It is recommended that you use the latest version of Mozilla Firefox,
Edge, Chrome, or Safari.
How do I use eSR?
• The law requires debtors to complete credit counseling BEFORE filing bankruptcy. To obtain credit
counseling from an approved counseling agency, click here.
• Assemble all your financial documents before your begin.
It could take anywhere from three to six hours (may be done at one time or several sessions) to enter your information.
You can speed up the data entry process if you have documents such as these readily available:
- A list of real property (real estate you own), its value, and a mortgage statement showing current loan balance.
- A list of personal property (e.g., household goods, vehicles, jewelry, etc.) you own and their values.
- Names and addresses of all the people to whom you owe money. It may be helpful to obtain a free
annual credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Income documentation such as pay stubs, W-2s, or proof of income from other sources such as
social security, disability, etc
- Two years of prior financial records (e.g. tax returns and bank account statments).
Filing Without an Attorney
Chapter 7 Filing Information
Chapter 13 Filing Information
• Create a user profile, provide an email address which will serve as your login ID, and create a
password for eSR.
• Using eSR, answer questions about your property, income and debts, and submit the package.
• See the flowchart on How to Prepare a Petition Using eSR here.
What happens AFTER I submit the eSR packet?
• The court will send you a confirmation email at the email address you provided with links to the following documents:
• Declaration Regarding Electronic Filing (Self-Represented Individual)
• Statement About Your Social Security Numbers (Official Form 121)
• Application for Individuals to Pay the Filing Fee in Installments (Official Form 103A)
• Application to Have the Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived (Official Form 103B) (Chapter 7 only)
• Complete and sign the Declaration Regarding Electronic Filing (Self-Represented Individual) and
Statement About Your Social Security Numbers (Official Form 121) that are emailed to you, upon the court's receipt
of the eSR package.
• Submit all required documents within 10 days.
Do I have to pay my entire filing fee when I submit my packet?
You have the following options for paying your filing fee:
• You can pay the filing fee in full by submitting a MONEY ORDER, CASHIER'S or BANK CHECK in person at its Portland
location, or mail the filing fee to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 537 Congress Street, 2nd Floor, Portland, ME 04101.
Money Orders, Cashier's or Bank checks should be made payable to: Clerk, U.S.Bankruptcy Court.
• You can request that the court allow the filing fee to be paid in installments by filing an
Application to Pay Filing Fees in Installments (Official Form 103A). If application is approved,
• The full filing fee must be paid in four equal installment payments.
• If you are filing a Chapter 7 case, you may request that the court waive your filing fee by
filing an Application For Waiver of Chapter 7 Filing Fee.
How do I submit my documents?
• Deliver to the court the Declaration Regarding Electronic Filing (Self-Represented Individual),
Statement About Your Social Security Numbers (Official Form 121), and filing fee (or
an Application for Individuals to Pay the Filing Fee in Installments (Official Form 103A) or an
Application to Have the Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived (Official Form 103B)). These documents must be
signed with an original handwritten signature. Also submit the original Certificate of Credit
Counseling, if available. The following delivery options are available:
• Drop off at Intake counter at Portland or Bangor Office
• Mail to:
U.S. Bankruptcy Court
537 Congress Street, 2nd Floor
Portland, ME 04101
U.S. Bankruptcy Court
MC Smith Federal Building
202 Harlow Street. 3rd Floor
Bangor, ME 04401
• Email - Once an Application to Submit Court Filings by E-Mail has been submitted and approved, properly signed documents in PDF format can be Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: A bankruptcy petition is NOT considered “filed” (and does not receive a case number) until
all of the above-listed documents are received and processed by the court. Please note that the
confirmation email that your eSR package has been submitted does NOT constitute filing. A Notice of
Bankruptcy Case Filing will be provided to you when the case has been officially filed.
Can I make any changes after I submit my package?
If you need to make changes, AFTER you receive a confirmation number but BEFORE your bankruptcy
petition is officially filed:
• Log back into the Electronic Self-Representation website by clicking here.
• Click on Continue a Petition Packet Tab and login.
• Click on drop down #6: Petition Package on the left side panel. Then click on the Review and
• Click on the checkbox at the bottom of the page “To restore this petition and make it available
• Click on Restore Package button.
• For assistance with eSR, Contact Kelli Felkel at (207) 780-3482 ext. 5956
Start Online Petition
Electronic Self-Representation (eSR) | District of Maine | United States Bankruptcy...